Lessons Learnt while working on an old wagon casting.

G’day Folks, A couple of weeks ago I re-discovered an old N Scale epoxy resin casting for the body of an Victorian Railways ‘I/IA’ wagon. For prototype information visit:
http://www.victorianrailways.net/freight/freight%20pages/iia/i-ia.html
http://www.pjv101.net/cd/pages/c005m.htm
http://www.pjv101.net/cd/pages/c009m.htm

I had the required PECO chassis and Microtrains body mount couplers on hand and so commenced work.

The 30 year old casting as found:

WP_20151125_002

WP_20151125_004

To reveal what was needed to be done to what I gave the casting a light coat of grey primer from a spray can. I planned to remove this coat of primer with caustic soda solution later.

LESSON 1.

A coat of grey primer can reveal a lot of detail:

WP_20151125_006

LESSON 2.

The camera on your mobile phone can be a great tool in revealing detail and enabling thought about your project.

WP_20151125_007

By comparing the photos of each wagon side I was able to work out what repairs needed to be done. As you can see: a)  the bottom of the doors on one side had been chipped away. b) the bottom of the upright stanchion between the doors on this same side had also been chipped away.
Looking at the photos and enlarging them allowed me a better view, and hence better planning, of what needed to be done.

I resolved to gently carve away the bottom of both doors on the damaged side until they were flush with the wagon base and then replace them with strips of styrene. The stanchion between the doors would be repaired by using a small piece of styrene ‘U’ shaped channel from the styrene scrap box.

LESSON 3.

A pair of digital calipers are a real advantage!

WP_20151130_012

After trimming back the damaged doors I used a pair of digital calipers to measured the height of the doors on both the undamaged and damaged sides. The difference worked out to be about 0.5mm (0.020″). These measurement would have been difficult and eye straining if I’d used my usual steel ruler.

So  the repairs were done:

WP_20151201_002 - croppedWP_20151202_002 - cropped

WP_20151201_006 - cropped

After stripping back the paint with a bath in a caustic soda solution I fitted the chassis and painted it all up in VR red oxide and applied decals.
I also fitted a new floor made out of thin styrene and painted the inside of the wagon a gunmetal colou7r to represent the unpainted finish of the inside of the wagon.

WP_20151204_015

As the red oxide paint had a matt finish I gave the panel where the decals would be applied a coat of glass varnish to provide a smooth surface.
When that was done I applied two coats of matt varnish to seal the decals and even out the finish. Then it was time to fit the wheels and couplers:WP_20151206_012

Weighting and extended test running are all that is needed to completely finish the job.
Just realised that this photo is of the `good’ side of the wagon. I’ll update with a photo of the repaired side in a day or so.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s